Or, Signin with your social accounts
The Witte Museum, established in 1926 under the charter of the San Antonio Museum Association, is located adjacent to Brackenridge Park in Midtown Brackenridge, San Antonio, Texas, USA, on the banks of the San Antonio River. It is dedicated to natural history, science and South Texas heritage. The permanent collection features historic artifacts and photographs, Texas art, textiles, the world-renowned Hertzberg Circus Collection, dinosaur bones, cave drawings, Texas wildlife dioramas and the four-story H-E-B Science Treehouse, in addition to nationally acclaimed traveling exhibits. Artwork in the collection includes sculpture by San Antonio-born, Bonnie MacLeary. The most recent addition is the 20000sqft, Robert J. and Helen C. Kleberg South Texas Heritage Center—a permanent home for the Witte’s South Texas collections, exhibitions and public programs, combined with the latest museum technology, to trace the legendary history of South Texas. The Witte’s South Texas collections are links to the area's heritage and include saddles, spurs, basketry, branding irons, historical clothing, land grants, art and firearms. The Witte Museum is named after San Antonio businessman, Alfred G. Witte, who bequeathed $65,000 to the city for construction of a museum of art, science, and natural history. The first Director of the Witte Museum was Ellen Schulz Quillin.